A simple and fun way to set up games of Warhammer 40,000, Open War cards take all the indecision and doubt away and let you get on with your gaming. A deck of 51 cards split into five types, they help you determine the deployment, objectives and special rules for open play games.
There is no time for peace. No forgiveness. No respite. There is only war.
After more than forty thousand years of war and strife among the stars, Humanity stands on the brink of extinction. Beset on all sides by hostile aliens and threatened from within by traitors, Humanity’s only chance for survival rests with the continuation of the cruel and bloody regime known as the Imperium. Yet few among Mankind’s untold population realise the full truth of their situation. If there is any future at all, it is a grim one…
A 280-page hardback, this is the essential book for any fan of Warhammer 40,000 – everything you need to know to collect, build, paint and play with Citadel miniatures.
The Core Rules explain everything you need to play to play Warhammer 40,000. Moving, shooting, using psychic powers, charging, fighting and morale tests are covered, giving you the basic framework to play with. You can play a game using only these 8 pages, bolting on more advanced and complex rules when you and your opponent are ready.
Three Ways to Play
- Open Play – pick some models, put them on the table and begin a game. This is the most flexible approach, designed with near-limitless possibilities; all you need is some models, their datasheets and the core rules. Included are some themes and ideas you can use or build upon to add atmosphere to your games, and 3 example missions.
- Narrative Play – Warhammer 40,000 has a vast, rich history with countless epic battles. Narrative Play is designed to let you and your friends re-enact those battles at your leisure. There are special rules to help you do this, such as Concealed Deployment and unpredictable, random battle lengths, and the book includes several missions - 6 Crucible of War missions and 1 Echoes of War mission, each showing you how to play in this style.
- Matched Play – for many players, Warhammer 40,000 is an opportunity to prove their mettle with tactics and strategy, an exercise in out-thinking and out-gunning their opponent with balanced, equal armies: Matched Play is for them. There are several ways to ensure that your forces are balanced against each other – a points limit is the typical way, but the system is flexible enough to allow armies based on unit numbers, Power Ratings, Wounds; as long as your limits are agreed, the possibilities are manifold. This book provides details on choosing your armies, and provides missions as examples of the tactical challenges available: 6 Eternal War and 6 Maelstrom of War missions, with explanations covering the use of Tactical Objectives.
While the Core Rules provide with you with everything needed to play, the Advanced Rules are a selection of rules and expansions that can be used to play with your miniatures the way that you want to. With these rules, there are always new challenges to face, new battles to fight, and new ways to play:
- Battle-Forged Armies: organise your models in a way that reflects the armies of Warhammer 40,000 – this places restrictions on your army, but makes up for it with powerful benefits, which use a system of Command Points;
- Battlefield Terrain: rules for a variety of terrains (Woods, Ruins, Barricades, Obstacles, Imperial Statuary, Fuel Pipes, Battlescape and Hills), each of which introduce scenarios and opportunities that change the nature of battle;
- Battlezones: rules for fighting amidst the effects of otherworldly environments, including low visibility, beneath an apocalyptic orbital battle and in the middle of a devastating psychic maelstrom;
- Planetstrike: slam down from orbit in a terrifying planetary assault. Two players are separated into Attacker and Defender, with scenarios that play out a full incursion and a Planetfall mission;
- Cities of Death: street fighting in the ruins of a shattered city, with buildings bitterly fought over – the claustrophobia of urban warfare makes for tense battles with snipers and grenades coming to the fore. Includes a Firesweep mission for playing out room-to-room combat;
- Stronghold Assault: dig in for a game of fortified siege warfare. One player seeks to overwhelm the prepared defences of another, with a Bunker Assault mission included;
- Death From the Skies: dogfighting for your Flyer models, allowing the recreation of epic clashes above the battlefield. A Tactical Strike mission involves a defence against a bombing run;
- Multiplayer Battles: rules accommodating three (or more!) players, with an example of a multiplayer battle to work from;
- Campaigns: an overview of linking your games into Tree, Matrix and Map campaigns.
The book contains a full detailing of the state of the galaxy after the events of the Gathering Storm – the major players, the struggles they face and the sheer grimness of eternal war, as Chaos threatens to engulf Humanity.
The Imperium of Man
Details of the various worlds within the Imperium, explanations of the Ecclesiarchy – the official state religion of the Imperium, and the Ages of Mankind, with maps of important locations within the galaxy showing in stark detail how the Great Rift may have doomed Humanity forever.
There’s also an in-depth account of the current state of the Imperium – the increased threat from Chaos and the steps being taken in order to counter them.
The Forces of Chaos
You’ll find an explanation of the Chaos Gods – who they are, their motivations and their methods – along with the vile armies of the Heretic Astartes: Space Marines, once loyal, who now blindly follow the corrupt lure of Chaos, debasing themselves in battle for their dark masters.
The Xenos Threat
This book provides an overview of the major alien antagonists who populate the galaxy – the Aeldari (Craftworld, Harlequins, Ynnari and Drukhari), Necrons, Orks, Tyranids, Genestealer Cults and T’au Empire. Each of these includes their backstory and guides to their equipment, hierarchies and weapons of war.
In the ninth instalment of the Psychic Awakening, you'll read what happened when the secretive agents of the Inquisition began investigating haunting reports of the absolute silence detected in the Nephilim Sub-sector. Meanwhile, a vast set of rules expansions enhance your armies of the Inquisition with name generators, updated datasheets and much more besides.
The epic Psychic Awakening series continues with The Greater Good. This campaign book features a host of new rules for the T’au Empire and Genestealer Cults. The campaign book also tells a sweeping narrative recounting the many unexpected challenges that the exploration fleets of the Fifth Sphere Expansion encountered as they journeyed beyond the Startide Nexus.
What better way to keep track of your glorious victories (and those times that you came second) than in the beautiful Crusade Journal? Easily record the progress of your Crusade force as it grows from a surgical patrol to a mighty battle host. You can also keep track of individual assets, whether it's a squad of bloodthirsty warriors, an indomitable battle tank or a heroic commander and watch their sagas grow as they become grizzled veterans.
The galaxy writhes in the mailed fist of all-consuming conflict. The Imperium of Mankind teeters on the brink of annihilation, beset upon all sides by heretic warlords, daemon-summoning witches and rapacious alien empires. In every star system and upon every planet, fierce battle rages as loyalists, heretics and aliens tear reality itself apart in their war for dominance. Every day the flames rise higher.
The epic Psychic Awakening series continues with Faith & Fury. This campaign book features a host of new rules for both the Adeptus Astartes and Heretic Astartes alike – as well as codex expansion's worth of rules for the mighty Black Templars Chapter! The campaign book also tells a sweeping narrative recounting the tapestry of heroism and villainy woven around the world of the Talledus System.
Within it, you’ll find the rules required to play Tactical Deployment games of Warhammer 40,000. This mission pack has been specifically designed to allow you to use your own terrain collection on the battlefield and set it up to your advantage, complementing the units in your army. As a result, this mission pack will provide players with a unique test of their tactical skills on the battlefield and is ideal for use in casual games, as well as Warhammer 40,000 tournaments.
The epic Psychic Awakening series continues with War of the Spider. This campaign book features a host of new rules for Chaos Space Marines, Death Guard, Talons of the Emperor and Officio Assassinorum. It also includes background on the web that Fabius Bile spins around the devastated Cadian system as he is pursued by the Death Guard, Adeptus Custodes, Sisters of Silence and multiple teams of Assassins. Will they catch him, or will he escape to continue his twisted experiments?
The epic Psychic Awakening series continues with Ritual of the Damned. This campaign book features a host of new rules for the Thousand Sons, Dark Angels and Grey Knights. The campaign book also tells a sweeping narrative recounting the fiendish plan of the Daemon Primarch Magnus the Red, as well as the Prosperan Rift War that followed.
Warhammer 40,000 is a fast-paced and explosive tabletop wargame. Will you choose to play as the mighty Space Marines, the sinister alien Necrons, or one of the many other unique factions of warriors, aliens, and monsters? Amidst the raging fires of a galaxy at war, collect, build, and paint your evergrowing army, then play nail-biting games against other Warhammer 40,000 fans to see who emerges victorious! This magazine you will give you all the information you need to plunge into the vast Warhammer 40,000 galaxy. Your adventure starts here!
War continues to ravage the sentinel world of Vigilus, yet the fighting is about to escalate to a whole new level. The dreaded Warmaster himself, Abaddon the Despoiler, has arrived at the head of a vast Chaos fleet. Even the tactical genius of Marneus Calgar will be tested to its limits if he is to ensure the planet’s survival, for the Black Legion have consigned worlds beyond counting to slavery and death.
Within, you’ll find the rules required to play games of Warhammer 40,000 set in the mysterious region of space known as the Pariah Nexus. This mission pack has been specifically designed for use in narrative play Crusade games, where your armies will find themselves beset by the unsettling effects that earned the Pariah Nexus its ominous name. But whilst there is great danger to be found here, for those who are successful, the rewards are well worth the risk.
This year’s edition of Chapter Approved is the essential gaming toolbox for all fans of Warhammer 40,000 matched play. Whether you're a tournament regular or simply like to ensure your battles are always fought on an even footing, this is the essential supplement for matched play games in the this edition of Warhammer 40,000.